Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles

unnamed
Halloween time is upon us, and for those of you in the Northern Hemisphere, that means that Autumn is well and truly in swing. To me, Autumn conjures up visions of falling leaves, cool evenings, crackling fires, and hot chocolates. It is also the season when pumpkins are ripe and readily available. Pumpkin is such a versatile vegetable, and can be used to many ways. Combined with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, ‘pumpkin spice’ has become a phenomenon world wide. While looking around for something new to bake, I decided to look for a variation on one of our family favourites, the Snickerdoodle, a recipe for which can be found here.

I found a recipe for pumpkin spice snickerdoodles and they are incredible! In fact, they are so good, I just had to share them with you.

• 1 cup shortening or oil
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • ¾ cup pumpkin puree (I used butternut pumpkin, as it has a sweeter flavour than other varieties)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3¾ cups of plain (all purpose) flour
  • 1½ tsp baking soda
  • 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg

Sugar spice coating

• ½ cup of white sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp allspice
  1. Beat shortening, white sugar (1 cup), and brown sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin puree, beaten eggs, and vanilla.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cream of tartar, salt, and nutmeg together in a bowl. Gradually fold flour mix into the pumpkin, until dough is just-combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 180℃ (356℉). Line biscuit trays with baking paper.
  4. For the sugar spice coating, mix together the sugar and spices in a small bowl.
    Roll dough into 1-inch balls; toss in cinnamon-sugar mixture and place 2 inches apart on trays. Indent each ball with your thumb (as pictured, below), this helps the dough cook through and ensures an even bake.
  5. Bake until golden and set, approx. 12 to 13 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

img_1531

This recipe is really simple to make. Instead of leaving the dough in the fridge for an hour, I left it overnight, and found it very easy to work with. Keep an eye on these in the oven, as its very easy to over-bake them.

I hope you enjoy them as much as our family did. The cookies barely lasted a day, so unfortunately I have no idea how long they’ll keep. Use your best judgement. If you liked this recipe, keep an eye on my twitter later this week for an AMAZING pumpkin pie recipe from my wife, KaylaLoves.

Thanks for stopping by,

Be kind

Jason
@tassiedad

More about tassiedad

25 thoughts on “Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles

1. Kayla Arnold

These are SO GOOD!!! Please make more! #KCACOLS

1. tassiedad

Later this week, I will. Thanks for reading!

2. Petite Words

Wow my gosh these looks amazing! Must must try! The definition of Autumn #of

1. tassiedad

You’ll be addicted, trust me. Thanks for stopping by.

3. Angela Watling

These look SO YUMMY! I made ‘norma’ snickerdoodles years ago from a cook book my Mum bought from the US. I really enjoyed them. I’ll have to try and find time to give this seasonal recipe a whirl. The fact they lasted under a day means they must be delicious. Thanks for sharing! #KCACOLS
    Angela Watling recently posted…Ditching the dummyMy Profile

1. tassiedad

You’ll love them, I guarantee it.

4. kid can doodle

Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie and this variation is ACE! #KCACOLS

1. tassiedad

Yeah, I love this recipe. Might whip up another batch today. Thanks for reading.

5. kid can doodle

PS. Tassie is great! Have only been to Hobart area, but glad we did!
    kid can doodle recently posted…Drawn Out : Charles SantosoMy Profile

1. tassiedad

Hobart isn’t even half of it! You have to come back and check out my neck of the woods, the North West coast. Just a beautiful place to visit!

6. The Unsung Mum

These look lush! I love baking but i’m annoying bad at it! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

1. tassiedad

Great thing about these cookies, is that they’re almost fool proof! Trust me, I’m not much of a baker either. Enjoy!

7. The Hippy Christian Mum

I can’t believe it I can actually eat these! I’m dairy free and usually can’t have anything yummy at all. I have to try these! Thanks. 🙂 #KCACOLS

1. tassiedad

Yay! I could hardly imagine being dairy free, it must be so difficult. These cookies, however, well and truly tick that dairy-free box. Enjoy! Let me know what you think of them. 🙂

8. Sarah@teamomlife

These sound so yummy. The start of fall has definitely put me more in the baking mood. I love Snickerdoodles and will have to try these. #KCACAOLS

1. tassiedad

Yes, Autumn is perfect baking weather. Unfortunately, living where I do, its Spring currently. So I just have to pretend its fall. Thanks for reading.

9. Kirsty - winnettes

These look really good and so easy to make! I love a pumpkin flavoured cake.
    #KCACOLS

1. tassiedad

Very easy to make. one of those recipes where the result well and truly is worth the effort!

10. Louise - Mummy Miller

These look amazing, I have never had a Snickerdoodle! #KCACOLS

1. tassiedad

Oh, you should! They are so good. Thanks for reading.

11. jen|Practical by default

We always make these with rolo’s in the middle. I must try with pumpkin! Thanks for the idea! #KCACOLS
    jen|Practical by default recently posted…What Juggling Homeschooling and Working From Home Looks Like For MeMy Profile

1. tassiedad

Rolo’s you say? THAT is definitely something I’m going to have to try! Thanks for dropping by.

12. Madeline (This Glorious Life)

I’ve never made snickerdoodles, but you might have just convinced me to try with this recipe, they sound really good! x #KCACOLS
    Madeline (This Glorious Life) recently posted…Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Airprotect car seat reviewMy Profile

1. tassiedad

They are so good. I made up another batch (double the recipe) and we’ve been snacking on them for the last couple of days.

13. Tracey Bowden

I’ve always wanted to try snickerdoodles these look so delicious #kcacols
    Tracey Bowden recently posted…My Iconic Film MomentsMy Profile