All Publicity is Good Publicity?

I started blogging a little over a year ago, with the hopes to share my experiences as a first time father, as well as using this platform as a way of documenting my life at this point of time, for myself and my son to look back on in the future. In that time my blog has grown, the amount of followers has increased, and my presence on social media has improved beyond what I could have imagined.

I’m pretty raw with what I share on my social media, what you see on my twitter/instagram is my life. I don’t sugar coat things, what you see is what you get. This is why, recently, I was shocked when something that I shared on my twitter had caused another dadblogger (DB) to label me as a bad dad. Now, I’m not going to call him out in this blog. I’d rather that he not get the traffic to a post that personally attacks me and the way I choose to live my life. Those close to me in the blogging circles know who he is, and have read the article in full. I’m only going to be focussing on the snippet where I’m mentioned (by name), but I’ll give you the gist of the whole article.

He wrote this piece to ‘call out’ dad bloggers who set poor examples to their children by consuming or supplying junk food around or to their children. The DB in particular is one of those gym rats who believes that anyone who doesn’t care about their bodies is a lesser human being. I’m sure we all know of the type. This DB called me out for drinking a Coca-Cola, as you can see below.

IMG_9430

A few things I want to point out here, in my own defence. I live a relatively clean, boring life. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t do drugs. 99.9% of meals I have each year are home cooked. Everything we feed to Archer is home prepared. He doesn’t drink sugary drinks, soda, or any other sort of cordial. He has pure fruit juice (diluted a little because he’s a little too young to have it straight), water, and full cream milk.
As for the comments about me ‘promoting’ the brand, I have to point out that Coca-Cola paid me $0.00 for that tweet. One of my favourite treats in the world is cherry cola, something which isn’t readily available in Australia (especially in my part of Australia) so when I do find it somewhere, I get a little bit excited. Also, as I said, this was a treat. I didn’t tweet about the 3 bottles of water I drank that day, but I still drank them.
I stand by my comment at the time that the drink was refreshing and invigorating. It had been a long day, and I felt that I deserved it at the time. The tweet in question was part of the ‘Another Day In My Life‘ project I did a couple of months ago. For those playing along at home, the cherry coke was both purchased and consumed at times where Archer wasn’t around, so me buying and drinking it had no influence on him.

Now, I know I’ve been hard on the guy, but I will agree that we do influence our children with our actions. However, me drinking a can of soda isn’t the soap box this DB should be standing on. The other day in town, I saw a mother getting her child out of a car, holding the toddler in one arm whilst lighting a cigarette with the other arm. This sort of behaviour has a more immediate, more damaging effect on kids than a can of coke will ever have.

Anyway, that is my rant over. Let me know in the comments if you think I’m out of line, or if the DB in question is out of line. Also, have you ever had your online behaviour come under fire? Let me know.

Be kind to one another, it costs nothing

Sincerely

Jason
@tassiedad

More about tassiedad

17 thoughts on “All Publicity is Good Publicity?

1. Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby

I can’t believe how people are so quick to judge on a single post not even knowing the whole story. I don’t see any problem with what you’ve posted, everyone deserves a wee treat every now and then. Trust me people like that are everywhere and should be cared less. They’re not worth our time and emotions. Keep up your good work. #KCACOLS
    Cheryl @ ReimerandRuby recently posted…Kids on choresMy Profile

1. tassiedad

Thank you. I was quite shocked and angry at the time, so I’ve left it a week to make this post, I didn’t want to make an emotional post.

2. Kayla

That guy is an asshole and you’re the best dad ever.

3. Cheryl @ Tea or Wine

I don’t think people should be so judgemental. You weren’t doing anything wrong. It’s a can of coke for goodness sake! I think you need to be the bigger person and not react at all. It sounds like this guy is trying to get some kind of a reaction either from you or from other bloggers. Maybe he’s lacking in material and doesn’t know what else to say other than to pick on others?! Either way, it’s a bit immature. As you say, kindness costs nothing. We are all doing the best we can and we shouldn’t put others down. #KCACOLS
    Cheryl @ Tea or Wine recently posted…Oh Sh!t! My Toddler Is Swearing!My Profile

4. Jane Taylor

Tasmania. Amazing! I’ve just popped over to visit after you popped across to see me.
    I can totally understand why you would be shocked when someone judges you without knowing the facts….Or judges you at all to be honest. Does he lead a perfect blameless life? He wasn’t in possession of the facts and then he says something so publicly.

I think you have handled it very well…My husband has taught me that I need to sleep on things when I am upset or want to respond so something…I often write a letter or email in the heat of the moment…But have learned to wait a few days or even better, get my hubby to read it, and take the drama and emotion down a peg or two and be more balanced…But, I have the benefit of having written the email I would have LIKED to send but was glad I didn’t!! It’s therapy in itself to get it off my chest.

It sounds like you are very careful about what you give your child to eat and drink…I don’t think many go to the lengths you do.

Thanks for sharing. I am glad I popped over today #KCACOLS
    Jane Taylor recently posted…On blogging and being thankful.My Profile

5. Ali Duke

Well he sounds like a complete delight! I think he was out of order, he should not be “shaming” people if they do not follow his way of life. We all need a treat now and then.
    #KCACOLS

6. A Moment with Franca

Wow, what is wrong with people? What is the problem to drink a can of coke? I also like a can once in a while. Why not? Actually my husband drinks them all the time. Will that make him a bad dad or will him give a bad example to my daughters? No I don’t think so as this is his treat and not my girls’s treat. And he is fantastic dad regardless he likes to drinks a canof coke like you. It is really annoying to see people desperate to gain some attention in some way. I like your reply it is correct and sensible and I agree with you. Best not to think about it anymore now that you let it all out of your chest. And to answer your question, no I have not come across to any episode like this so far. Fingers crossed stays that way! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. It is very nice to see you back this week. Hopefully you will join us again next week, x
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…#KCACOLS – 22nd May 2016My Profile

7. Morgan Prince

I have to say that I don’t see the problem with the occasional coca-cola drink, it’s a treat and as long as it’s not all you drink then why not? As for the other DB calling you out, I just don’t see the point. Aren’t we all parents? Aren’t we all in this together? The thing that bothers me is that he essentially says that if you consume treats while you’re around your children you’re setting a bad example. I think he’s wrong. I think we should be teaching our children that they CAN have treats, but that they don’t have to be all the time. We should eat things in moderation, we should do exercise in moderation. Judging others for their choices is not okay, there may be reasons for said choices that we just don’t know. All the judgement depresses me, I wish it could stop.
    #marvmondays

8. Catie: An Imperfect Mum

It really annoys we when people make ill informed judgements via twitter which show that they a. Have not read your blog or b. have no idea what your beliefs are… It is just wrong. It has happened to me too where people have jumped to conclusions because of one image on twitter. It just shows the impact that our posts can have. None of us are perfect…none of us should think we have the right to sit in judgement of others…

9. Fiona - Coombe Mill

You certainly have a good point, these things can be viewed so many different ways. Personally I stay out of conflict as I hate it. though I do have one controversial post that really came under fire a couple of years ago on the subject of TripAdvisor. I’ve steered clear of controversial topics and comments since.

1. Fiona - Coombe Mill

Sorry popped by from #Twinklytuesday
      Fiona – Coombe Mill recently posted…Padstow Tide Times for 24th May 2016My Profile

10. Emma

everyone will always have something to say ey. I don’t think you need to justify anything. my mum and dad smoked all through my childhood. because of this I absolutely hate smoking and have never smoked. sometimes influences have different impacts. #KCACOLS

11. Claire at Tin Box Traveller

Wow! I think that’s really harsh to ‘call you out’ over a soft drink. And as you point out, if the DB knew you better they might have thought twice about using you as an ‘example’ of bad parenting. I’m always considering what people think about me when I post photos on social media or my blog – might they criticise me for letting my daughters have an ice-cream or a dummy? If they did I think I’d have a mini breakdown. Conflict is not my thing, so I’d have no witty come back…or at least if I did it would be about a month later! #KCACOLS
    Claire at Tin Box Traveller recently posted…Exploring Victorian life at Lanhydrock National TrustMy Profile

12. Sarah-Arthurwears

Very unprofessional to mention you by name, but, as you say – publicity for you , and I bet most of the people who checked out your blog off the back of the mention didn’t agree with the comments, and have now found a new blogger to follow!
    I don’t think we need to justify how we parent and what we eat to others (unless we are talking about things that cause actual real harm such as alcohol during pregnancy etc etc) my little one is 16 months now. We were really strict up until he turned one, but now, if I have a biscuit or a cake when we are out somewhere special and he wants a taste – why not?? I’d rather he is allowed to try than being banned from all junk food and then being the kid that binges till he’s sick at a party because he knows it’s his only chance. Moderation is the key, and I you choose to have a cherry cola as a treat then good for you too! #KCACOLS

13. Mrs Tubbs

Oh dear. Judging someone on the basis of one post AND slagging you off over it isn’t very classy at all. It says way more about the person doing it and than the person they’re talking about.

Let’s hope he doesn’t find the pictures of coffee, cake and Lego on mine! He’ll probably be appalled!

1. tassiedad

I’m really glad he didn’t find my Instagram or snapchat, I post all sorts of things there that would shock him, mainly the copious amounts of coffee a drink a day.

14. Kaye

It’s so awful when people are so quick to judge, I’ve felt it on a few occasions when they really don’t know the whole story. I’m sorry you’ve had to even explain yourself! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo